Thursday, January 15, 2009

Juice for Tots! Frugal Friday.

I (of course!) had a coupon for Motts for Totts juice and was able to get a really good deal on it. We give our daughter her liquid vitamins and omegas in a sippy cup full of juice every morning, so she is drinking a lot of juice.

After inspecting the Motts for Totts Juice, I learned that it is lower in sugar because it is mixed with water. How simple. And, you know me, I tried to make some myself. I can easily buy regular on sale juice, or even organic, and mix it with 40-50% water. This will almost double the quantity of juice so I thought it would be a great idea to freeze the excess to use later, pre mixed!

So, the juice is now half off of my sale-after-coupon price!!

I used some spaghetti sauce jars (trying not to use chemical leaching plastic when I can), made sure they were really, really clean, and poured in half juice and half water. I can use one now and throw the rest in the freezer.


6 comments:

Karla said...

Love it! As an aside, I've totally been re-using glass jars myself. I think the people at work think I'm a bit mad when I dump my lunch out of a pickle jar, but what the heck.... What I'm struggling with is a bit of the smell staying in the jars (I think with the rubber/plastic seal on the lid). So I'm trying to keep jam jars for sweeter stuff and salsa/pickle jars for the savory stuff.... :)

valley view farm said...

eew, pickle flavored soup...

one trick I learned for reusing essential oil jars was to use salt to scrub out the scent. Basically, the instructions were to fill the bottom of the jar with a large grain salt, I use a sea salt, then fill about 1/4 or less with warm water, put lid on and shake like crazy.

The salt is supposed to scrub the glass like a soft scrub would do! It works for essential oils, I dont know how well it would work on a rubber seal though.... there must be something!

Shopaholic in rehab said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shopaholic in rehab said...

Ok, I'm trying to still figure out the blog stuff ... Let me try this again...

You must have a HUGE freezer! I thought I was pretty cool the other day when I made lemonade and then use some to make ice cubes; I did this so my drink would not be watered down. Granted my guy just thought I was a nerd!

I'm learning lots of new things from you!

Anonymous said...

I agree. The added water is something we have done for years. It helps the juice last much longer and is better for the kids. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never tried freezing juice that is not from concentrate. How does it unfreeze?

My experience is that pickle jars are right offs. The large pasta sauce ones are great though! I always reuse them.

click for more quotes from the office

PlanningFamily

FamilyPlanning