Thursday, February 12, 2009

feeding the birds: free

Just the other day after a trip into town to drop off a package at the post office, I noticed how nice of a day it was.  My daughter was in a great mood and it felt like such a shame to rush straight home to clean as usual.  I knew I had a bag of possibly stale cheerios in my diaper bag and I had been wanting to see how the little one liked feeding the birds.

Our post office is in our downtown, which consists of a waterfront park and some cute boutiques.  I did something I am only now learning to do, and on a whim took her to the waterfront for some fun.  It was a little breezy, but we had jackets and hats.

Approaching the park I did not see any birds and was concerned this idea was bust.  I decided to toss a few Os over the fence to see if I could get any action.  Not 10 seconds later the lawn behind us was covered with maybe 30 ducks!  The little one squealed with delight and if you can imagine we had a wonderful time.  She still makes the duck 'quack' today!

As I now want this to be a normal activity for us I thought of a great way to collect 'bird food'.  

I put a jar on the kitchen counter and have started to fill it with any stale crackers or pretzels she doesnt finish, the bottom of the chip bag or whatever else would get otherwise discarded!  I will keep baggies of it in the car for those spur of the moment joyful events!

For anyone who knows me, this was a ever so much needed break this week!  We had so much fun and are planning to go saturday morning with daddy.  

I will report tomorrow how night #2 with the sleep schedule goes.  Night one was okay!!

For more fantastically frugal ideas check out one of Crystals many blogs.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Okay...you inspired me. Even with a silly cold I can walk the 1/2 mile down to our closest park so M can play on the playground! Good idea on the birdfood!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how cute! This sounds like a great stress relieving active! Plus something that she can look forward to when you go to the Post Office. Maybe I should order more stuff so if gives you an excuse!

click for more quotes from the office

PlanningFamily

FamilyPlanning